Monday, June 21, 2010

WebQuest Reflection


This WebQuest experience has been really helpful. I never considered using a web-based project like this and hadn’t thought how a guided project could help model the research process. I’m sure most students don’t even know what great materials are available on the web. After experiencing a good WebQuest there should be no reason to just go to Wikipedia and stop there. I use the idea of modeling and scaffolding in almost all the aspects of teaching, so I’m excited that I can bring this method into technology-based assignments.

I will be using the multicultural WebQuest in my middle school classroom and I’ve already coordinated with the school’s director to make sure I will have enough computers available. I want to build a WebQuest for the senior research paper, so the kids can go to different sites to find articles on their chosen topics. It seems like most students struggle with the process of building a strong research paper and a guided “tour” could be useful. I am contemplating a very quick and fun webquest for the first day or two of class for my junior high kids. We are focusing on the memoir, so I might have them build an “about me poster” that includes what their name means, a quick history of where they live, and some basic facts about their hobbies. I think iWorks could be a good place to create this poster. I am worried about the potential technological gremlins that can creep into the mix, so I’m a bit nervous about this new adventure. Using computers on this level will be very new for me.

Working with Emily on this Webquest was great. I know Emily from past English classes, and I’ve always been impressed with her personality, intelligence, and work ethic. We got together at my house to plan this project and together we came up with an outline and websites that promised to be engaging and interesting for the students. It was a shame that Emily had obligations during the week this was due, but it was not an insurmountable problem. I got the project started and when she returned we got right back to work. Emily put in a lot of time as we finished this assignment. The WebQuest grew, and grew, and grew. I’m a little overwhelmed by the size, but I didn’t want to cut any corners knowing that I was going to use it in my own classroom. I’m proud of the project and am curious how the kids will react.

I feel like I’ve grown in three of the INTASC standards: Instructional Adaptability, Instructional Variety, and Learning Environment. I have a whole new set of tools to add to my curriculum. This project and this class has convinced me that teaching kids how to use technology in a productive and mature way is as a real-world skill that can benefit all aspects of their education.

Going back to the NETS page was a totally different experience than when I first read it. When I saw the goals and expectations there, I almost wanted to cry. It seemed completely impossible. I was proud that I used YouTube clips in the classroom. I remember wondering how to add all these elements to an English classroom. Now it seems possible. By having the kids create a digital “about me” page I accomplish #1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. My Webquest accomplishes #2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments. The fact that I’ve designed and created the webquest and the digital shows I’ve accomplished #3: Model Digital-Age Work and Learning. The internet ethics media campaign I designed will be used in the middle school CTE classes this year, so I’ve indirectly taught the students about #4: Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility. I also will be sure to discuss copyright laws as we work on our projects. The last element is something that time will tell. Will I stop here and stick with what I’m familiar with? I hope not. If I make technology a part of my classroom, I must keep up with current tools. So I’m going to answer “yes” to number #5: Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership. Look at me! I’ve got a great start!

There are two goals I would like to work on for the future and they both fall under the INTASC standard of Community Relations. I wonder if there isn’t technology out there that can make communication between the parents and myself more effective. Our websites are a good tool, but we looked at it mainly as pertained to the students. Is there I way to manipulate emails so I can send out mid-term reports more easily? I would love to figure out how to store and manipulate email lists. I would also like to know how to send calendar updates to parents on a regular basis.

I also would like to know how to better communicate with my fellow teachers. I would like to find ways to do online meetings and coordinate curriculum so we build on each other’s efforts. Could we build an online collection of lesson plans? Could we create a “dictionary” of shared terms? Clearly there are things I still need to learn and I’ve got to research to find the options out there. There are scholarly journals that are geared to using technology in the classroom. There are online newsletters and UEN resources. I just have to keep asking questions and looking for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment