Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Course Reflection

Instructional Media Final Reflection

This course has given me a bit of a paradigm shift. I’ve realized the way I have the kids communicate and create their work can teach an important skill as relevant as the course information. Technology is a part of the modern college experience and today’s workplace, and I can give them two types of knowledge (English and Digital Competence) that can benefit their lives – all at the same time! That seems to be the heart of what this course is about. There are other lessons as well. We have added to our knowledge of how to diversify our lessons so we can reach all types of learners. We now know how to add creative content to our lesson plans. These are all good things!

I really found every project very useful, especially the Webquest. I really like the idea of guided discovery on the computer. I’ve always been nervous just turning my junior high students loose on the internet, but this is a way to scaffold computer research.

Over the past year-and-a-half I have been struggling on how to handle student papers. They are constantly being lost or turn up missing with those famous last words, “I turned it in yesterday! I swear I did!” I’ve had kids sign in their papers and make copies, but it still happens more than I like. Blogs and Google Docs have really opened my eyes on how the kids can create digital portfolios and this might clear up the problem!

I also appreciated learning about cyber-ethics. I really was in the dark about what was legal and ethical and what was not. I don’t think this information will make my life easier (ignorance is bliss…) but it certainly will help me with my cyber-karma.

I can see why this class is required because it has made such a huge impact on me. Without a course like this I never would have seen how many tools are available. When I see how I’ve taken big strides forward with the NET goals, I just can’t believe the difference in my feelings towards technology in my classroom. I also think the idea of being a reflective practitioner, number nine in the INTASC standards, is important. I can’t let myself get in a rut of the same-old lessons taught in the same-old way. Technology forces you to keep learning because it is both addictive and always changing. I will be forced to be a life-long-learner if I’m using technology in my classroom. It also forces me to me creative in my lesson plans. The digital world has a million options out there for every concept I want to teach.

So now I just need to go out there and do it. I have big, big plans. I’ve coordinated with my school director to make sure each student can have his or her own laptop at least a few days a week. I recognize this has the potential for big failures. I hate when a lesson plan that depends on a digital tool goes wrong. As a teacher, you feel really stupid when you’re trying to fix computer problems instead of actually teaching.

I know I will be using the WebQuest I created for this class and I am going to have the kids set up iGoogle pages and create a blog. I may use this as a digital portfolio, or I may use Micrsoft Office Workspace. I would like to create two new WebQuests: one for the first day of class and one to teach the juniors and seniors about research papers. I have an assignment planned where the students write about where they live. I’m going to have them use Google maps with the satellite setting to see their house and street as they are brainstorming. The biggest change/risk in my teaching style is having the kids turn in all their writing assignments digitally instead of on paper. I don't know if the kids will love it or hate it. I would guess it will be a bit of both.

I know I will encounter problems. I am still really, really inexperienced. There isn’t any program or product that I am completely secure on. One professional goal is to keep working with these programs until I am comfortable. I need to be able to think on my feet and problem solve. That is my mastery goal. My second professional goal to stay current with the newest tools. I’ve subscribed to the Education World weekly newsletter and I need to read it with a special attention to the section about tech integration. I’ve got to have fun with technology! If I have a good view of my tech self-efficacy it will be my friend, not my enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment