Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Beliefs

I feel unsure about the best balance of technology in the English classroom. I try to use video clips and some websites in my lesson plans. I’ve had the kids use UtahWrite.com to write five paragraph essays and have them electronically scored. These efforts have added to my teaching, but they also slow things down almost every time. I suspect it’s as much my inexperience as anything else, but it makes me think twice when including it in my curriculum.

I also have a teacher website and I have never been able to figure out how to get the kids to look at it. I’ve included extra credit opportunities, assignment descriptions, even jokes to make it useful and entertaining, but virtually no students or parents reference it. This probably shows my lack of creativity, rather than a problem with the technology. The articles we read have inspired me that there are many more options than I ever thought about, so I’m willing to put aside any concerns and see what is out there. I do believe that I don't know enough to make a fair judgement at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment