Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Millenial Generation

The Millenial Generation video was a cute glimpse at what our students want from technology and how they see adults out of their generation interface with what exists now. I am definitely on of those parents who turn anything technical over to my kids to solve or carry out. I quickly abdicate any responsibility over understanding the computer, my phone, the school projector, etc. I find that if it has a screen, my brain gets fuzzy and I lose twenty IQ points.

Most kids today do the opposite. They see a screen and their brains turn on. Their imagination starts kicking in and they explore what is new. I need to tap into that phenomena and change the cause and effect of new technology in my own life.

The New WWW

Honestly, this article made me exhausted. It is a really well-written, thorough essay, but it really pointed out just how little I know and how I fail to incorporate technology in my classroom. I do agree that students are distracted by the constant contact with information and entertainment through their phones and computers. Their lives really are centered around what I think of as “screen technology.”

Could I actually compete with these time-sinks if I made my class more technology based? Hmmm, I hadn’t thought of that. Would they actually do homework instead of playing video games until two in the morning if I used WebQuest or created a class portal? I don’t actually think that I can win out in a contest between writing a short story and World of Warcraft, but I can make it more assessable. Now I just need to learn out how to use those two programs! It all seems overwhelming!

Why Integrate?

This smaller article said many of the same things as the article about the new World Wide Web. It didn’t get as specific about which programs can be used, but the author said the classroom should introduce students to the same technology found in a modern office and use new tools to make learning a dynamic exploration and expression.

I do agree that the internet can open up my students to the most current information and the experts that are working today, but with English curriculum, it is hard to see the balance between the book, pencil, and paper versus the computer and the internet. The article points out what is available for science class, and I know there is a lot that can be brought into my subject area, but where to start?

Engaged Learning

This video seems pretty lightweight compared to the article about the World Wide Web. It did point out that our kids are competing in a global marketplace where the children from India and China far outnumber our students. The point they are making is that we need to give them the advantage of modern technology so they can fully compete.

It seemed a little bit like an ad meant to scare parents into buying gadgets for their kids so the US can maintain its economic dominance and kids will still have jobs available to them when the grow up. I’m not sure I agree with this premise. I do agree with their point that there are many new ways to share information and engage the students with this technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment